The Dead Zone – “It’s alive!”

Last weekend, Tom & I did a lot of gardening to add some life to the dead zone.  I built the planters from y previous post.  I think the came out pretty good!

I am so excited, some of the plants that I was sure died last year are coming back.  I the top right corner of the picture above are Geraniums!  They died off completely last year, but the Geraniums in another area of the courtyard stayed green all winter, so I was sure these were goners.  But there they are! Last year my mother-in-law wanted to get rid of some ferns (score- free plants).  They turned brown and dies after the transplantation, but they are popping up this spring!

 

Here is the work on the planters.  They are both constructed with 2×6’s and 2×2’s.

For the larger planter, we cut 6 pieces of  2×6’s at 5′ each, 6 pieces at 2′ and four pieces of the 2×2 at 16″ for the inner corners.

For each of the smaller planter, we cut 4 pieces of  2×6’s at 2,5′ each, 4 pieces at 1,5′ and four pieces of the 2×2 at 10.5″ for the inner corners.

A little stain goes a long way!  I love the color 🙂

We cut holes in the back of the planter to run a soak house through the planter so no watering will be required.  I filled the planters with some bulbs that like shade, I hope they come up soon.

I also got new stones for a path back to the bird feeder by the planters.

Heidi likes gardening, it means she gets to hang out outside all day!

 

Today, I am planing on adding some more dirt to the planters (there has been some settling), planing more seeds on the roof, and plant morning glory seeds along the fence.  If I get the time, I have more stones for a path back to the hose.  It would be nice not to have to walk through the plants and dirt every time you need to get the hose!

I will have re-post when all the planters are up!